Lydia's Chicken Chalupa
This recipe always gets lots of compliments and has become one of our favorites.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cans chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup of chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 -3 jalapeno chile, canned
- 2 -3 cups of diced cooked chicken
- 2 -4 cups of shredded cheese (Monterey Jack & Cheddar or Mexican blend are the favorites)
- salt and pepper
- First, place tortillas in a deep dish and pour one can of chicken stock over so that they can soak while you prepare the remainder of the dish.
- (use cold stock or tortillas will get mushy) Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour and then add one can chicken stock and pour off remaining stock from tortillas into this saucepan.
- Cook until slightly thickened over med-high heat and then add jalapenos.
- Turn heat off then stir in sour cream- mix thoroughly.
- Layer ingredients in a 9 x 13 casserole as follows: four (4) tortillas to completely cover bottom (I tear them in half to cover),1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the sauce 1/3 of the onions and then 1/3 of the cheese; repeat until all layers are used ending with cheese on top.
- Sprinkle with paprika Cover tightly and place in refrigerator overnight (it will work if left refrigerated for 8 hours).
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour (remove cover half-way through baking).
- Probably best to let stand for 15- 20 minutes before cutting into serving pieces.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION