Coconut Shrimp Summer Rolls
- Ready In:
For Dipping Sauce
- 5 ounces apricot jam
- 1⁄4 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped green cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped purple cabbage
For Coconut Shrimp
- 12 shrimp
- 3 ounces beer
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces coconut flakes
- 6 sheets rice paper
To Make Dipping Sauce:
- In a bowl, combine apricot jelly, crushed pineapple, apple cider vinegar and red pepper flakes.
To Make Coleslaw:
- In a food processor, add water, olive oil, scallions, cilantro, garlic, salt and lime juice. Pulse until combined.
- Then add sour cream and pulse again.
- In a bowl, add chopped green and purple cabbage.
- Drizzle olive oil mixture over the cabbage and mix well.
To Make Coconut Shrimp:
- In a bowl, whisk beer, egg, milk, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Dip peeled, headless shrimp in the batter.
- Then coat with coconut flakes.
- Fry the breaded shrimp in hot oil until the coconut flakes are golden bown.
- Place shrimp on a drying rack over a sheet tray to allow the excess oil to drip off. Let cool.
Assembling the Roll:
- On a sheet of moistened rice paper, place a scoop of coleslaw in the middle, edge of the paper (think of it as about 1/3 in from the edge). Then roll and fold until the top of the coleslaw is covered by the rice paper.
- After the shrimp cools down and excess oil drips off onto the rack, place two shrimp on the roll and continue to wrap until the shrimp is sealed well.
- Slice in half and serve with the dipping sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!