Coconut Cream Pie With Coconut Rum Crust
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
1 large pie
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1⁄3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -5 tablespoons coconut rum, ice cold
- 5 ounces instant vanilla pudding
- 15 ounces cream of coconut
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 9 inches pie plate
- Cut butter into small cubes and place in freezer to make sure it's very cold.
- Place 1/3 cup shredded coconut in food processor. Pulse to finely chop. Then add flour and salt and pulse again.
- Pour a couple ounces of coconut rum over ice to chill (I just sat it in the freezer while I was prepping and worked fine.
- Add cold butter to flour and pulse until finely chopped and mixed into flour. Should resemble oatmeal or little pellets.
- Once tablespoon at a time, pulse in chilled coconut rum (not the ice cubes) until it clumps together. It should be firm, not sticky. Mine took all 5 tablespoons.
- Dump the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and form into a disk, wrap and refrigerate for at least thirty minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375. Once chilled, roll dough out into a 14 inch circle. Carefully transfer dough to the pie pan.
- Crimp edges to seal, Place a large piece of foil over crust and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and weights and bake again for 10 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
- Spread coconut onto baking sheet, toast for 3-5 minutes, until just golden. Remove and cool.
- Place instant pudding mix in large glass jar or plastic air tight container. Add cream of coconut and milk. Cover tightly and shake for 1-2 minutes until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- With electric mixer, whip heavy cream with 1 teaspoon vanilla and 3 tablespoons of sugar. and refridgerate.
- Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in pudding mixture. Add a little at a time and scrape bowl regularly, to ensure there are no clumps. Finally fold in HALF the whipped cream. Carefully mix until smooth
- Pour mixture onto pie crust, top with remaining whipped cream and toasted coconut, refrigerate for at least 3 hours or over night.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"