Classic American Cheesecake
photo by Alan L.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 lemon, zest of, of finely grated
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry cookie crumbs, such as gingersnaps or 1 1/2 cups graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- melted butter, for brushing pan
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Brush a 9-inch springform pan generously with melted butter.
- For crust: Melt butter, stir in cookie crumbs and sugar.
- press the mixture into the bottom of the pan, spreading evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake until lightly toasted- about 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- For the cheesecake: In an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese on low speed until soft and smooth.
- Add sugar, vanilla and salt and continue beating until light and creamy- 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until smooth and scraping down the sides after each addition.
- Stir in zest.
- Pour batter into springform pan and bake until done (center will be slightly jiggly)- 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Turn oven off and leave door slightly open for 1 hour.
- Transfer to refrigerator and chill overnight.
- Remove sides of springform and cake on pan base.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!