Basic American Barbecue Rub
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon hickory smoke salt or 1 tablespoon more coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to mix.
- (Actually, your hands work better for mixing than a spoon or whisk does. Use your fingers to break up any lumps of brown sugar.) Store the rub in an airtight jar away from heat or light; it will keep for at least 6 months.
- Use 2 to 3 teaspoons per pound of meat.
- A 4-pound chicken will take 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons.
- To make a spicier rub, substitute hot paprika for some or all of the sweet paprika.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I grew up in California and now live in Seattle Washington,and I really love it here! I've been cooking since I was about 10 and still enjoy cooking till this day. I don't really have a favorite food as I enjoy many different dishes. I do really enjoy cooking on a smoker, the taste is out of this world. I also enjoy barbecue, Italian, Mexican and Chinese just to name a few. As you will notice I also enjoy taking pictures of dishes I make, there's nothing like getting that great shot. Thank you for stopping in, I hope you enjoy my site!