Citrus Meringue Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 pie crust, 9-inch, unbaked
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest, minced
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- FOR THE PIE: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-inch pie plate, then line the pie plate with the pastry, trimming it, but leaving a 1/2-inch overhang.
- Do not prick the pastry, but line it with a double layer of heavy-duty foil & bake 8 minutes. Remove foil & bake another 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F.
- Meantime, in a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch & salt, then gradually stir in the water & ORANGE juice until smooth.
- Cook & stir over medium-high heat until thickened & bubbly, then reduce heat & cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir a small amount of this hot mixture into the egg yolks, then return it all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil, cooking & stirring another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Gently stir in the LEMON juice, butter & both zests, then pour into the prepared pie shell.
- FOR THE MERINGUE: In a large bowl, beat egg whites & vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form, then gradually beat in sugar, one tablespoon at a time, on high speed, until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this mixture over the hot filling, sealing edges to the crust.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack for at least 1 hour, then refrigerate for another couple of hours before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!