This is a simple and delicous clam chowder. Not quite as heavy as some but just as good.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups red potatoes (cubed)
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 2 cups yellow onions (chopped)
- 13 ounces clams (2 6.5oz cans chopped, with juice)
- 1 ounce salt pork (about 3 slices, chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup clam juice
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a saucepan saute the salt pork and onions until onions are slightly translucent, and salt pork is cooked. Add the rest of the veggies, and clams with juice, and clam juice. You may need more clam juice, just enough to cover veggies. Bring to a boil.
- In the meantime, in another saucepan, melt the butter with the flour and stir together. In a small cup, stir the cornstarch together with 3 tbsp of cold water. Add the half and half to the butter mixture, then add the cornstarch mixture , stir in the milk. Bring to a simmer to thicken stirring well.
- When veggies and potatoes are done , add to the white sauce mixture, and heat through.
- Serve with oyster crackers and enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Delicious! We really enjoyed this dish. I misplaced my bottle of clam juice, so I used some chicken broth, and I used all but about 1 cup of the milk mixture (I like a thicker chowder). I cooked it on low in my slow cooker for about 4 hours, and served it along side a loaf of beer bread ... mmmmmm. I made this for "Belly Warmers-Soups & Stews". Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe :)Reply