Chocolate Toffee Candy Cookies (Saltine Candy)
photo by beckihrh
- Ready In:
- 1hr 22mins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover cookie sheet with a single layer of saltines.
- Boil butter, sugar, and vanilla for one minute. Pour evenly over saltines. If needed, gently spread to make even. Bake for 7 minutes.
- While toffee is still hot and bubbly, pour chocolate chips evenly on top of candy. When the chocolate chips begin to melt, gently spread chocolate over toffee. Freeze for one hour. Break into pieces and enjoy!
- ***I have sprinkled nuts and/or drizzled white chocolate over the top of this candy to make it even better, but the basic recipe is outstanding as well. You can also change the type of chocolate that you use in the chips. White chocolate chips and milk chocolate both work, but make the candy incredibly sweet.***.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Even though I messed it up by accidentally putting the chocolate chips in it before baking, everyone loved it. I will call it a very kid friendly treat. They love helping me make it and eating it (I give it 5 stars for them... I guess I would say 4 stars). Thanks for the recipe... my roommate in college made this and it was fun to do an ingredient search and easily find it.
This is sooooo good!! I have used saltines, graham crackers and reduced fat club crackers - all with equally good results!! I think I like the club crackers best. I usually put a layer of chopped almonds over the cracker layer before the toffee layer gets poured on. I could truly eat the entire pan of these - they are that addictive!! So simple and so good. No one believes how easy they are.
This is excellent! Totally easy. Didn't have any problem with it sticking in the cookie pan lined with foil (which also made it easy to pick up to break into pieces even though I had to let it freeze for 2.5 hours before I could get back to it). I went a little crazy and mixed some white chocolate chips with the semi-sweet brown chocolate ones... then sprinkled crushed caramels and crushed candy cane on top of the whole thing (about 1-2 tbs each) as I was "cleaning up" from making several types of candies this morning. I'm pretty sure I could founder myself on this candy, it's that good. It's darn sure easy!!