Chocolate Mint Mousse
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup white creme de menthe
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and put into a bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a simmer. Remove pan from heat. Set the bowl of chocolate over the hot water, stirring frequently until just melted. Remove bowl from hot water. Cool.
- Bring the water in the saucepan back to a simmer.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the egg yolks, sugar, and creme de menthe. Set bowl over simmering water and whisk constantly until egg mixture is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove bowl from hot water. With mixer on medium speed, whisk the egg mixture until light and cool, about 4 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, bring about 1 inch of water to a simmer.
- Put 1/4 cup of water in a small bowl, sprinkle with gelatin, and let stand until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan of simmering water from heat and set bowl of softened gelatin in hot water until gelatin has melted, about 2 minutes.
- Whip cream to soft peaks.
- Whisk gelatin into cool egg mixture, and then divide egg-gelatin mixture evenly between two bowls.
- Fold 1/2 of the whipped cream into one of the bowls. Stir melted chocolate into second bowl and then fold in remaining whipped cream.
- To layer the mousse, divide 1/2 of the Chocolate Mint Mousse between six individual goblets. Spoon all of the mint mousse on top.
- Make a final layer using the remaining Chocolate Mint Mousse.
- Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.
- Recipe can be prepared and refrigerated 1 day ahead.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!