MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Adapted from my local newspaper. This makes a filling breakfast or a very nice "Breakfast for Dinner".
- Ready In:
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, drained
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 small shallot, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cups black beans, cooked or (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- vegetable oil (for frying, about 1 cup)
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inch diameter)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled or 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- To prepare red sauce, put tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, shallot and garlic in a blender and process until smooth. Meanwhile heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Pour blended sauce ingredients in skillet. Add black beans and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat oil for the chilaquiles in a deep pot or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F. Gently fry tortillas, one at a time, for 1 minute on each side until golden. Drain on a paper towel lined cooling rack. Sprinkle with salt.
- Alternatively, you can toast the tortillas in a 375 degree F oven for 10 -15 minutes.
- Prepare eggs to order - either poached, fried, sunny-side up, or scrambled.
- To serve: Place 1 tortilla on a plate and top with about 1/4 cup red sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and add a dollop of sour cream. Stack second tortilla on top, add some more sauce, cheese and sour cream and top with the egg.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION