Chicken Simmered in BBQ Sauce
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Simple and tasty!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 6 cups basic tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 -3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, about 8 dashes
- 2 lbs chicken pieces, bone-in and skin-on
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat over to 400 degrees F.
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepot over medium-high heat, combine the Basic Tomato Sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire, sugar, ale, and hot sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer until reduced by half and thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken pieces with salt and black pepper. Heat a large oven proof skillet over high heat and add the vegetable oil. Sear the chicken pieces on all sides until well-browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the prepared BBQ sauce making sure to cover all the chicken pieces.
- Add 1 cup of water if more liquid is needed to cover.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake until the chicken easily falls off the bone and the sauce is slightly thickened and caramelized on top, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or serve cold as leftovers.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Made half a recipe here, having prepared your own recipe for the Basic Tomato Sauce & using chicken thighs! Also used slightly less than 1 teaspoon of the hot sauce, but other than that, followed the recipe on down, & had a very satisfying chicken dish! Many thanks for this flavorful recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]1Reply