Chicken Oriental Stir Fry
photo by Derf2440
- Ready In:
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten fried and cut into thin strips
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small carrot, cut in very thin matchsticks
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut in half, then into matchsticks
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, cut into half rings
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, chopped to raisin size
- 1 cup snap peas, strings removed and cut in half
- 3 heads baby shanghi bok choy, cut in bite size pieces (or regular baby bok choy)
- 2 cups spinach, packed, cut in strips
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut in strips (bottled is good)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, rough chopped
- Lightly beat eggs, fry thin like a pancake, cut in strips, set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts into thin strips and place in plastic bag; in a small bowl mix together coriander, cumin, ginger, salt and pepper, add to plastic bag, shake to coat chicken.
- Refrigerate until ready to use at least 15 minutes.
- Add olive oil to a wok or large nonstick fry pan.
- Over medium high heat, add chicken and spices with any accumulated juices,stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, fennel, and onion rings ; stir fry for 5 to 8 minutes; until chicken is cooked through, reduce heat and add garlic, cook stirring 1 minute.
- Add apricots, snap peas, stir fry 2 minutes, add baby bok choy, spinach and parsley, stir fry just until wilted, about 2 minutes; add roasted red pepper strips, stir fry just until heated through, about 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together, white wine, oyster sauce, fish sauce if using, soy sauce , and cornstarch; add to wok , cook and stir until sauce thickens , about 2 minutes.
- Add fried egg strips and mix.
- Remove to serving platter; sprinkle with chopped green onions and cashews.
- Serve hot alone or over plain white rice.
- Alone serves 4, over rice serves 6.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow! This has an amazing flair to it! A distinctive Asian taste... with a twist! (Maybe the cumin?). Both DH and I adored it...I've never seen him eat so many veggies in one sitting! I didn't have fennel on hand, so I added a little more bok choy to fill in and it was superb. The cook times / order of ingredients left every piece in this dish cooked perfectly. I didn't have canned roasted peppers, so I quickly roasted a fresh one and it worked great. Thanks!!
I am sorry there can only be one winner in a cookoff such as RSC. Derf, I cannot say enough about the mix and blend of flavours in your Chicken Oriental Stir Fry. Even without chicken this recipe would be absolutely delicious; each vegetable cooked to perfection following your clear detailed instructions. A keeper; you get 10 out of 5 for this one. Incidentally, the rice was there for any who desired it, but I say, why spoil a perfect stir fry with rice? Fantastic. Four adults ate until it was gone; my guests looking for more, did not believe me when I told them it was gone... (Perhaps I should double the recipe and invite them all back for a repeat)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>November 4th, 2013: Our community lost a wonderful friend when Dorothy passed away on October 24th, 2013. We are shocked and saddened by her passing and there is a thread for expressing your condolences.</p> <p>Mary at Food.com</p> <p><a href=http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=398284>http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=398284</a></p> <p> </p> <p>********************************************************************</p> <p>I live in the sunny okanogan valley - I am a retired Resort Services Director, love collecting receipes and cooking but am a diabetic so some times i can only collect </p> <p>Love traveling, own a timeshare, went to Portugal in the year 2000, this picture was taken there, so it's 9 years old, but the only decent one I have, I am not photogenic and hate having my picture taken!! <br />I've been enjoying lushious recipes from 'zaar for 9 years now, since January 2001. <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Animation1.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/berriesblinkie.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/4treasurehunt.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/purplechefhat.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/chef3.jpg alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/FinishedJollyRoger_1.jpg border=0 alt=Image hosting by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/dragonspearls_1.jpg border=0 alt=Image hosting by Photobucket /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/completedbanner.gif alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/TasteofYellow.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Octoberevent.jpg alt= /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/cheesesticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/personal/FRENCH-foodfun.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/EditBeforeandAfterSTICKER.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/Banners/Photo_Video_577111733_orig.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/484938/Spelling-Bee-stick2jpg.jpg alt= /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/holidaylightssticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/derf16/food%20photography%20series/Comfortstickercopysmall.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/photo-swap-7sticky.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/derf16/food%20photography%20series/MuffinLovesticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/L%5B1%5D.F-stickJPEG.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/484938/MayFlowerssticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/TasteofYellowSTICKER.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BBQlSTKR.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/CobblerPieTartSTICKER.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/CROCKPOTSTKR.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/FISHSEAFDSTICKER.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/CookingSchoolHost1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/BeyondburgersST.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/Elves-appreciationSTICKER.jpg alt= /></p>