Rich Chicken Florentine Soup
photo by Basil321
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallots or 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled & diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup heavy cream
- Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces and season with salt & pepper. Heat olive oil in a 2-3 qt saucepan.
- Add Chicken and cook until no longer pink. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the same pan and add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 min or until onions are translucent. Add Garlic, Thyme & Cayenne, Salt & Pepper. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add flour to the vegetables and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the Chicken stock slowly to mixture. Cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and soup thickens.
- Add the Half & Half & cook and stir until thickened. Add Chicken and Spinach, cooking for another 5-10 minute Check the seasonings and add more Salt, Pepper or Cayenne to taste.
- Serve with Homemade Croutons.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!