Chicken Cobbler by Lu
- 7 cups chicken broth, plus more as need for gravy
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken breast halves, with skin and bones
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 2⁄3 cup diced carrot
- 2⁄3 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup frozen tiny peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 lb smoked ham, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Combine broth, chicken and saffron in a large pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to large bowl and cool briefly; reserve broth.
- Remove skin and bones from chicken.
- Cut chicken into 3/4-inch cubes; place in 15 x 10 x 2-inch (4 quart) glass baking dish.
- Bring broth to boil.
- Add carrots and celery; cook 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer to dish with chicken.
- Add green onions, peas, ham, onion and parsley to chicken.
- De-fat broth and add enough additional broth to equal 6 1/2 cups; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour; whisk to combine and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in broth.
- Boil until thick and smooth, whisking constantly, about 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add to chicken.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.) FOR TOPPING: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degs.
- Whisk milk, egg and butter to blend in large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls over filling.
- Bake cobbler until topping is firm and golden brown, about 35 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!