This recipe is from a missionary at my church who just came back from Paraguay, so it is very authentic. Times are estimates as I have yet to make this lovely sounding dish.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 chicken, cut up
- 3 liters water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 green pepper, cut in strips
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 250 g cornflour
- 100 g paraguayan cheese, crumbled (or ricotta or some other cheese that crumbles well)
- 2 tablespoons grease from broth
- 1 large egg
- Cut up the chicken in pieces. Put into a kettle with water (you may brown the chicken first if you wish). Add tomatoes and onion. Allow it to boil 30 minutes; add salt and oregano. If the chicken is tender, remove it with a little broth.
- Prepare the bori by making a circle with the corn flour. In the center, add cheese, egg, and grease from chicken broth. Mix until you obtain a dough. Roll the dough with your hands and make little balls. Add balls to the boiling broth.
- When balls float to the surface, allow it to boil for a few more minutes. Add the pieces of chicken, whole. Serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was delicious! Some of my bori didn't hold together (probably my fault,) but I really liked the cooked cornflour in the broth - I think next time I will just dump cornmeal in instead of making the balls. I used 1 2/3 cups cornflower, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, and 1/4 cup chicken fat. For ZWT7 Silverados.Reply
Wow! Boy, did the farm love this recipe! It was so devoured by all, I almost didn't have enough. I served this at lunch for our farm hands, who by the end of lunch, were pushing the soup spoon around the soup pot for something. Easy enough to do, and oh so tasty, I believe you will think you were in the depths of South America. A lovely, rich, broth with big knobs of chicken. I did brown the chicken first, then used the browned bits and water to make a lovely, rich, broth. The dumplings were the highlight ~ and perfect in every way. I did not change anything in this recipe and used all ingredients listed. You will too, and you will love it! Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 7.Reply
see 1 more