Chicken and Red Pepper Stir Fry
Years ago, I got a batch of tried and true from my internet pal, Sylvia in Montreal (later of Ottawa). This is one of them. Very easy to make. Very easy to eat. This is really fast food that's good for you.
- Ready In:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock or 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- red pepper flakes or cayenne
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cut chicken into thin 2 inch (5 cm) long strips; set aside; cut red pepper into strips; set aside; using vegetable peeler remove thin orange rind and cut into julienne strips; set aside.
- Squeeze orange and reserve 1/4 cup (50 ml) juice in small bowl; stir in chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil, pepper flakes and hot pepper sauce; set aside.
- In wok or large skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over high heat; stir fry chicken until no longer pink inside, 3 or 4 minutes; remove
- chicken and set aside; heat remaining oil in the wok or pan; stir fry gingerroot and garlic for 10 seconds; add orange rind and red pepper, stir fry for 1 minute or until tender crisp; stir in soy sauce mixture; cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Return chicken to wok and stir until heated through.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I found I didn't care for the taste of the orange rind and ended up picking it out. I'm still giving the recipe 5 stars though, as the sauce is lovely and matches with the chicken and red pepper perfectly. I had no pepper flakes, so instead I used minced chilli and fried it off with the garlic and ginger. Added a nice hot bite to it. I used some julienne-cut zucchini as well since I love lots of vegetables. Thanks for a lovely dinner!
Did a fair amt of stir fry when I lived in the US, but I hadn't lately so this was like "going home" & really tasted good to me. It was easy to make, I served it w/my version of quick fried rice & added only mushrooms - Gotta have mushrooms for me. Loved the tasty sauce & was glad I made extra sauce as 1 reviewer suggested. Thx for posting Ev.
In response to Chef Kate's comments, I replaced the pepper flakes with a while dried chile (unbroken) purchchased in my local Asian market, and removed it just before serving. Also dumped in some baby corn leftover from another meal. The sauce was quite wonderful -- the orange, ginger & pepper combination was a big hit -- and my biggest regret was there wasn't quite enough to glaze the rice served with the stirfry. Next time I'll double up the sauce. Thanks evelyn.