Chef Joey's Herb and Mushroom Quiche (Dairy Free)
photo by Chef Joey Z.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry (I used one sheet)
- 4 ounces blue cheese (I used grated Sheese)
- 1 (10 ounce) package monterrey jack cheese (I used vegan)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package white button mushrooms (stems removed and chopped)
- 3 stocks celery (chopped)
- 6 green onions (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350'F. Put rack in the middle of the oven.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one sheet of puff pastry and put it into a 9 inch pie pan. I wish I had a square pie pan, it would be easier to use, but a round one works OK.
- Put the rolled out puff pastry into your pie pan leaving the edges hang over a little because the pastry will shrink.
- Poke holes "all over" the puff pastry and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool and prepare your ingredients.
- In a non-stick saute pan cook the celery and green onions until slightly soft, add the mushrooms and saute for about 3 more minutes. Set this aside.
- Chop up your herbs and grate your cheese.
- Whisk up the eggs and add the milk and salt and pepper. Give it a good stir. At this point I mixed the sauteed veggies to the egg milk mixture and gave it another good stir.
- Once the puff pastry shell is cooked remove it from the oven -- leaving the oven on.
- Take 1/2 the blue cheese and sprinkle it onto the bottom of the puff pastry crust. The other half will go on top. Then sprinkle the the Monterrey jack cheese on the bottom and up the sides of the puff pastry. If you don't use it all save what you have left for the top.
- Add the veggie, egg/milk mixture into the puff pastry crust. Sprinkle with the fresh herbs and sprinkle the rest of the cheese you have left on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Bon Appetit!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> I was born in northern Ontario in Canada. I am of Irish /Spanish/French Canadian descent. In 2002, myself, my hubby Stu, and our dog Ginger moved to the high desert of New Mexico. I am a Domestic Engineer and a Professional Artist. I enjoy oldies, classical and jazz music. My hubby is a Professional Jazz and Classical Musician. He plays with the Albuquerque Philharmonic Orchestra which is wonderful because I get to see all his concerts and they are free! We are trying our best to live a Green and Sustainable lifestyle which is no easy feat in a desert. I love any cookbook that promotes good health and tasty meals. I enjoy pasta dishes and sweet vegan deserts. I have found that I am very successful in converting conventional recipes to vegan. This has allowed me to enjoy all types of foods that I other wise could not. Some day we would like to relocate to upstate New York and be closer to my family in Canada and my husbands in New York. My DH retires in 9 years, so nothing will stop us from heading home then :-)