Cheese & Bacon Breakfast Muffins
photo by birdienomnom
- Ready In:
- 3 slices bacon (rind removed and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 g button mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (freshly ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 cup cheese (grated, tasty, cheddar is good)
- 2 tablespoons chives (finely chopped)
- 80 g butter (melted)
- 2 eggs (lightly whisked)
- 2⁄3 cup milk (skim milk was used)
- In a frying pan (skillet) fry bacon over a medium-high heat until light and golden stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Remove to a kitchen paper covered plate.
- Increase heat to high, add oil and mushrooms to the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes till tender and then set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin (regular size) or a 6 texas size (3/4 cup) muffin tin.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt and pepper into a bowl and add cheese and chives and mix together.
- Whisk butter, egg and milk in a jug and pour into dry ingredients, stirring gently until almost combined.
- Fold through the bacon and mushrooms.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes for regular size muffins and about 20 to 25 for texas size.
These are great! And an easy way to eat "breakfast on the run." I added an extra strip of bacon and a small amount of sauteed onions. And based on some reviewers' comments, I only used half the amount of mushrooms. The muffins turned out a little dry, but I'm rating them 5 stars because I didn't follow the recipe and add the full amount of mushrooms -- they would have been much moister if I had. I made two batches of these -- one for today and one for the freezer. Thanks, Pat, for posting this terrific recipe!
Freaking awesome! I've eaten my second already! I mixed up the ingredients a little after reading other reviews. I added 6 slices bacon instead of 3 and halved the mushrooms (though I love that the flavour still came through a lot). Because my family are a bunch of cheese lovers I think I doubled that too. Even though I'm Canadian I was lost at 80gms of butter (too used to American recipes I guess lol), but I guessed it to be about 1/2 cup and it turned out so I guess I was at least close! I used green onions instead of chives cause my garden ate my chives this year. I also made a mini muffin batch (baked about 14 mins). Love these! I'll be making them lots and I bet if I can keep my paws off them they'll freeze great for quick breakfasts too! EDIT: I threw some of these in the freezer and they re-heated great! My daughter and I had a great breakfast that was super quick to make! Just a couple mins in the nuker! Thanks for another OAMC recipe. I'm making a quad batch now!
see 21 more reviews
I made a half recipe for 6 muffins. I noticed in the reviews that many folks doubled the bacon but couldn't bring myself to do that since they are already 55% fat (even though DH would have been liking it). Used all egg whites instead of whole eggs and skim milk and had excellent results. Simply delicious.
Made these last night to freeze for DH. I used 6 rashers, 300g mushrooms and subbed 3 tablespoons of the flour for wheatgerm. Also added a dash of paprika and more chives. These muffins were tasty, however next time I would add more cheese as per the last reviewer. A quick and easy breakfast standby. Made for Recipe swap #22
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the demise of the forums and with no more interaction on site with what was a great community and it was a pleasure to get to know so many of you over the years and to have had the privilege of meeting some of you in person. For me now this is just another recipe site like to many on the net, it has lost its specialness, such a pity especially when Scripps changed the name from Recipezaar to Food.com and made this statement sorry cannot replicate here as considered invalid but they basically said yes the community was valuable hence .com was short for community but it was a pack of lies as they were not willing to put the money into that community and got rid of the forums which was the community so for .com has become .crap.