Cheese and Trees Soup
When my daughters were little they used to call broccoli trees, hence the name.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄3 lbs potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen, chopped broccoli, , , thawed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In 2 to 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion; saute 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, water and bouillon cubes.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of potato cubes with slotted spoon; set aside.
- Pour contents of saucepan into container of electric blender.
- Holding lid down tightly, blend until smooth; return to saucepan.
- Alternately, blend with an immersion blender straight in the pot until smooth.
- Mix in reserved potatoes and the broccoli.
- Over medium-low heat gradually add cheese, stirring until heated through and cheese is completely melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We call broccoli "trees" too. This soup is really thick, rich and creamy....without cream or milk. I love the texture that the blended potatoes give the soup. It's the kind of soup that is easy for toddlers to eat because it really clings to their spoon. My cheddar cheese was sharp cheddar. Thanx for a new version of brocc/cheese soup. It's great!Reply