Ceviche With Ahi Tuna
photo by januarybride
- Ready In:
- 20 ounces fresh ahi tuna, cubed
- 1 fresh mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 fresh avocado, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 1 tomatoes, roasted, peeled & seeded
- 1 serrano pepper, roasted, seeded & minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄8 cup tomato juice
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 pinch sugar
- some traditional recipes use ketchup which can be substituted for the tomato juice and sugar.
- Chop tuna into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Toss with 1/2 juices, and all ingredients with exception of mango and avocado cubes.
- Let sit to marinate as desired in refrigeration.
- Before serving, chop mango and avocado and separate.
- Toss separately in the rest of the juices.
- On a large serving plate, place a small ring mold in the center of the plate.
- Spoon an equal portion of mango into bottom of a small ring mold.
- Add an equal portion of avocado and top with equal portion of Ahi mixture.
- Press down and remove mold.
- Refrigerate in pantry right away.
- Note these should be made not only daily but as close to serving as possible.
- Repeat for additional portions.
- Serve surrounded with tortilla chips and corn nuts (corn nuts are optional but are a traditional touch).
- Decorate plate and mold with chopped cilantro.
- (Alternatively, you can mix all ingredients together or not and place in an oversized martini glass. Chips can be served on the side).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I liked the recipe in general but wanted a bit more boldness in flavor, as well as wanted to use ingredients locally available here. Here is my modified ingredient list<br/><br/>1.5 lb. fresh albacore tuna<br/>5-6 carabao mangoes<br/>2 of big green avocados (florida style, not haas... available locally in the pacific islands)<br/>1 cup calamansi lime juice<br/>1/2 jalapeno or a few donne peppers<br/>2 Tbsp chopped cilantro<br/>1 tomato finely diced<br/>salt and sugar to taste (about 1 tsp. salt and 2 Tbsp. sugar)<br/>15 dashes hot sauce