Cauliflower Crust Pizza.....you Won't Believe It!
Yes, really.......this pizza was made with a cauliflower crust! I can't tell you how excited I am about this recipe. When I first saw this posted I thought the pizza looked so appetizing that I knew I had to give this a try. I was a little skeptical but only because I didn't want to get my hopes up. I'm always trying to cut out a few carbs and I'm always craving pizza. I had all the ingredients on hand so I was happy to whip up an onion pizza, my favorite! Well.... let-me-tell-you, this is surprisingly-unbelievably-amazingly good!!! Pizza night is officially back!!!
- Ready In:
Ingredients for Crust
- 1⁄2 head of a large cauliflower
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
Toppings for Pizza
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Break the cauliflower into floret's and use a food processor or cheese grater to shred the cauliflower into little bits. It takes about 10-12 pulses in the food processor to get the right consistency, being careful not to over process and make a puree.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cook in the microwave, uncovered, for 8 minutes on high heat. It is not necessary to add water, the cauliflower will steam on it's own.
- Let the cauliflower cool slightly and mix in all remaining crust ingredients.
- Spray a pizza pan or sheet pan with non-stick spray liberally and spread out the mixture. Go for a pretty thin pizza, this will ensure crispiness. Spray the top lightly with cooking spray.
- Place the crust in the oven and cook for 20 minutes. It will get crispy and dark in many areas. Important tip: before you top the crust with toppings, be sure to take a large spatula and very gently loosen the bottom of the crust from the pan. This will prevent it from sticking as you cook it further.
- Top the crust with your favorite toppings and bake until cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes, and turn on the broiler for 2-3 minutes to crisp the top to your liking.
Tips for the perfect low carb pizza crust:
- Spray a non-stick pan liberally with non-stick spray.
- Be sure to cook the crust on a high temperature, 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until crispy on the bottom and firm on the top. Every oven varies but the key is to have a crispy bottom so that the pizza stays together and slices up nicely.
- After the crust is pre-baked, loosen it gently with a spatula so that it does not stick to the pan as you continue to cook the pizza with toppings.
- If you go a little lighter on the sauce and toppings, the pizza will hold together better. The Margherita Pizza toppings of buffalo mozzarella and vine ripe tomato slices are a perfect choice.
- Follow these tips and you will have perfect low carb pizza that is so delicious that you won't feel like you are missing a thing.
- I hope you let me know how it works out for you and what your favorite toppings are!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Well that was disappointing. I thought I found the perfect cauliflower crust without having to wring it out through a tea towel. The only thing I did different was I used the whole large cauliflower so I doubled the whole recipe. It was so moist, it didn't crisp up and we couldn't pick it up. I didn't make it that thick either because I don't like thick pizza crust. Now that's not the end of the world, but I really do enjoy picking up slices of pizza. I only used 1/2 the recipe for the pizza, I used a large pizza stone, and I froze the rest. I'm thinking once it's thawed out, I will squeeze the liquid out of it and see how that works. The flavour was pretty good though. I really want to find the perfect cauliflower pizza crust.Replies 1