Catfish..... Salt and Pepper Catfish
This is the favotite way to prepare catfish in the North Carolina Piedmont. The coating is spicy, making it a nice contrast to the delicate flavor of the catfish.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 catfish fillets
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly ground sea salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Place buttermilk in a 2-quart baking dish; place fillets in buttermilk and allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Place oil in a 12 inch cast iron skillet to a depth of about 2 inches. Heat until oil registers 375 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer.
- In a large, zipper-lock food storage bag, mix remaining ingredients by zipping them inside bag and shaking until well blended. Remove fillets from buttermilk; allow excess liquid to drain.PPlace fillets in bag and shake gently until completely coated.
- Gently shake off excess coating mixture and carefully place into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation