Caribbean Jerk Chicken With Fresh Fruit Salsa
photo by lazyme
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Spice Mixture for marinated chicken and flavoring the salsa
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 2 1⁄2 ounces minced red onions
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh parsley or 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon scotch bonnet pepper, minced (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb diced fresh papaya (two cups)
- 1 mango, peeled cored and diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced red pepper
- Mix the Spice Mixture in a mini food processor pulsing to a chunky mixture. Or finely chop all together.
- Coat chicken with 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture rubbing in and marinade for 1/2-1 hour in refrigerator.
- Add the rest of the spice mixture to the salsa ingredients. Chill.
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Rub the chicken with the oil.
- Place on hot grill and cook 4-5 minutes pre side till done. Depending on how thick the breasts are. May be pan fried or broiled as well.
- Plate chicken and top generously with salsa.
- Serve with rice or on a bed of salad greens.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious!!! I made this for our anniversary (4th anniversary is "fruit") and it made for a very special meal. I'm not the biggest cumin fan and was a little scared of it but it worked beautifully with the fruit, a perfect complement. I served this with recipe#97745 and recipe#152608. Thanks for helping to make our anniversary so special!