Caramelized Pineapple Sundaes With Coconut
This dessert treat uses fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt, but you could substitute vanilla ice cream if you prefer. The flavors of coconut and the carmelized pineapple create a delicious topping. This is best when fresh pineapple is used. Sometimes you can find already peeled and cored pineapple in the produce department. From Food & Wine.
- Ready In:
- 1 (2 lb) pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/2 inch rings
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 1⁄2 pints non-fat vanilla frozen yogurt (or vanilla ice cream)
- mint sprig, for garnish (optional)
- Light a grill.
- Brush the pineapple rings with the oil.
- Grill over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until the pineapple rings are lightly charred and softened, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the rings to a work surface to cut them into bite-size pieces.
- In a medium skillet, toast the coconut over medium heat until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the coconut to a plate to cool.
- Scoop the frozen yogurt (or ice cream) into sundae glasses or bowls.
- Top with the grilled pineapple, sprinkle with the toasted coconut, and garnish with mint sprigs (if using) and serve right away.