Captain Buddy's Peppery Hush Puppies
- Ready In:
6 dozen hushpuppies
- 4 cups sifted stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups sifted self-rising cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups beer (to 2 1/2 c.) or 2 cups milk (to 2 1/2 c.)
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 3 quarts peanut oil (for deep frying)
- Sift cornmeal,flour,baking powder,salt and soda into large bowl.; make a well in the center.
- Add 2 cups beer or milk, onion,egg,parsley and pepper.
- Stir quickly until just combined; do not overmix.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup beer or milk if batter is too thick, it should be the consistancy of porridge.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Heat oil in electric skillet or wok, deep fryer, or large saucepan to 365 degrees.
- Drop batter by rounded teaspoonful into hot oil and fry, turning once, until richly browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels, transfer to serving platter and keep warm in oven.
- Repeat with remaining batter; serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!