Calzones of Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil
photo by Cook4_6
- Ready In:
- 12 ounces puff pastry, each sheet cut in half diagonally (or Buddha's Pizza Pie Crust)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bulbs of garlic, roasted and pureed (1/4 cup)
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced into 12 slices
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 eggs, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon water, to make an egg wash
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup marinara sauce, warmed (recommended 2bleu's 2 Minute 2 Easy Pizza Sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Brush each pastry sheet with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the roasted garlic puree onto each sheet. Lay tomatoes and mozzarella slices onto each sheet. Season with Italian seasoning and 1/2 the basil.
- Brush edges with an egg wash, and fold over to a triangle shape. Seal edges with fork tines. Cut 3 small slits in top to allow steam to vent.
- Brush tops with remaining egg wash, then sprinkle tops with parmesan cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble and brown.
- Garnish with sprinkles of fresh basil and a side dish of the tomato sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wonderful! I cut the recipe in half since there were only two of us tonight and I had worried that the puff pastry would get soggy and not reheat properly. This tastes so much like the calazone that I order at my favorite italian place down the road. Now that I can easily make these on my own I have an excuse to try other things on the menu! Thanks so much 2Bleu!