Cajun Red Beans & Rice
photo by Jb Tyler, TX
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 1 lb red beans, dried (soak over night in water)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 quart water
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 pods garlic, chopped (approx. 20 cloves)
- 1 cup green pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 lb kielbasa, cut into pieces (I use Ekerich smokey links)
- 2 cups rice (cooked according to directions on package)
- 1 (4 ounce) bottle hot sauce
- Drain red beans, rinse and in a large soup pot combine the beans, and water. Bring to a boil and cook 45 minutes. Add all vegetables, shortening, tomatoes, and seasonings. Cook 1 hour, covered. Stir occasionally.
- Add sausage and cook 45 minutes, or until the beans are cooked.
- Serve with a few tablespoons of rice on top and (optional) dashes of "Louisania Hot Sauce".
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Love to cook, my daughters do also. I was introduced to RecipeZaar by my oldest DD and I am addicted to it. <br /><br />I live in East Texas, and sometimes some of the exotic ingredients in some of the recipes I want to make present quite a challenge - <br /><br />I started cooking early and have always enjoyed finding new recipies and making menus - but RecipeZaar has taken this to a whole new level. <br /><br />Pick A Chef Banner: <br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><br />I Was Adopted banner: <br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt= /></p>