Cabbage and Onion Saute
- Ready In:
- 4 cups savoy cabbage, - shredded (this equals about 1/2 a large cabbage)
- 1 medium onion, - diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (I use Hot Today Chili Tomorrow)
- 6 tablespoons butter, - no substitutes
- Core and shred your cabbage, I do a rough chop, and put aside in a bowl. Then dice your onion, making the pieces medium size.
- Take a 10"skillet and place about 2-3 tablespoons butter, melt the butter and saute the onions until they just start to turn brown around the edges. Add the cabbage and gently fold with the onions, add the remaining butter (just put it in on top of the cabbage,it will melt). Place lid on skillet and simmer at medium heat for 5 minutes. Then uncover, stir the mix and add all your spices. Stir again and place the cover back on and simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
- We like a little body to ours, if you like your cabbage soft just simmer a little longer.
- This is easy, quick and yummy. You can add caraway seeds or other spices to alter to your own tastes.
Join The Conversation
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I like to refer to myself as a Mis-Placed NYer. I have been living here in Northern VA for 12 years now and go back to NY whenever I can. I work as a Human Resources Analyst. I love where I work, and the people there are wonderful. They also love to eat which is perfect since I love cooking. We have potlucks all the time. I'm always on here looking for something interesting to make. I have posted some recipies as well that I hope (if you try them) you enjoy. I live with my husband and our spoiled kitty Harley. I also enjoy reading, singing, theater and going for long drives especially in warm weather when the convertible goes down and the wind is in my hair.</p> <p>It's hard to write about yourself LOL I can be a bit loud and love to laugh. I make my own greeting cards which I find very rewarding. I have tattoos and am what one would call a BBW. I have no problem with that, and if others do well thenit's their loss for judging me without knowing me. Don't you hate when people do that? Oh well..drop a line if you like. I love meeting others and love trading ideas around.</p>