Butterscotch Pecan Pie
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Serve with vanilla ice cream
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 single crust deep dish pie shell, partially prebaked (9 1/2 inch deep-dish)
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 pinch salt (a generous pinch)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Gently warm the corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter together in a saucepan until the butter melts.
- Turn off the heat and add the butterscotch chips.
- Scatter them around rather than dumping them in one spot; set the pan aside for 5 minutes, shaking it once or twice to move hot liquid over the chips.
- After 5 minutes, add the salt and whisk to smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk together just until frothy.
- Whisk in the vanilla; whisk a little less than half of the hot liquid into the eggs until smooth.
- Add the rest of the hot liquid and whisk until smooth.
- Add in the pecans and stir well; turn the filling into the cooled pie shell.
- Using a fork, gently rake the filling to distribute the pecans evenly.
- Place the pie on the center oven rack and bake until the perimeter of the filling has puffed up and perhaps cracked slightly, 40-50 minutes.
- Rotate the pie 180° halfway through the baking, sot that the part that faced the back of the oven now faces forward.
- When done, the center may wobble a little, but it shouldn’t seem soupy.
- Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let cool.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature; or let cool thoroughly; cover with loosely tented foil; refrigerate for several hours before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION