Butternut Squash Tart With Pumpkin Seed Crust
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1⁄4 cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, chilled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
Filling and topping
- 1 cup cooked squash
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced gruyere or 4 ounces aged gouda cheese
- For the crust, process the pumpkin seeds in a food processor until ground to a meal. Add the flour and butter and process to the texture of a coarse meal. Add the water and process until the mixture forms a ball.
- Flatten to a disk and sprinkle with flour. Roll to about 1/8-inch thickness and press into a tart pan. Prick with a fork and chill for 30 minutes. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Combine the squash with the cream, butter, egg, salt and pepper and mix well or process until smooth. Spoon into the cooled tart shell.
- Slice the cheese into strips and arrange them on the tart to form a lattice. Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is slightly puffed and cheese is melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Food writer, recipe editor, gear tester, restaurant reviewer in the US. Author, "Southern Cooking for Company" (HarperCollins 2015); :The All-New Square-Foot Gardening Cookbook"; "Seductive Tables for Two," and many other books, usually for other people, companies and groups. You probably have one of my books on your shelf. I love to talk about food.