Brussels Sprouts Lardons
It seems that most of the recipes we find that we REALLY enjoy from Food Network come from Barefoot Contessa. Here's one of her best. It made a Brussels Sprouts lover out of my Brussels Sprouts hater Auntie Bev. We eat them usually at least once a week.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces thick-cut bacon (1/4-inch dice, can substitute pancetta)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half through stem
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- Heat the olive oil in a large (12-inch) saute pan and add the bacon. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until fat is rendered and the bacon is golden brown and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the bacon to a towel lined plate, leaving fat in pan.
- Add the sprouts, salt and pepper to the fat in the pan and saute over medium heat for about five minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the raisins and chicken stock.
- Lower the heat and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are tender when pierced with a knife, about ten to fifteen minutes. If the skillet becomes too dry, add a little chicken stock or water.
- Return the bacon to the pan, heat through, season to taste, and serve.