photo by WiGal
- Ready In:
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 tablespoon margarine, divided
- 2 teaspoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups cooked long-grain rice (cooked without salt or fat)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup crushed unsalted melba toast
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes until crisp tender.
- Drain broccoli and plunge into cold water.
- Drain again and set aside.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of margarine over medium heat.
- Sauté onion for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour and mustard and cook 1 minute stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- Gradually add the skim milk while stirring constantly.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add pepper.
- Combine the broccoli, milk mixture, rice, cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl; stir well.
- Spoon into a shallow 2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Melt remaining teaspoon of margarine and combine with crushed melba toast, sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until heated through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was great and I will make it again. I had leftover rice and a big bunch of broccoli to use up. I was looking for something to serve with my pork roast and this was perfect. I used butter instead of margarine, full fat cheddar, and light mayonnaise. I sprinkled a bit of cheese on top instead of the melba toast. Very good!
Very good dish. I made it as posted except I did not use any low fat ingredients; the broccoli was garden fresh. Used panko crumbs for the topping. I chose this recipe because it is one of the few broccoli-rice casseroles that does not use any canned creamed soup. I definitely will make this again. Thanks for posting it.
see 3 more reviews
Definitely a 5 star!! Perfectly delicious, Shari2. Easy,healthy, and attractive. Love the crunchy gratin topping! I used arborio instead of long grain b/c I did not have long grain and that was the only change I made. We enjoyed the hint of mayonnaise. This would be easy to assemble ahead, refrigerate, and then put into the oven. You could also say that it might be a leftover type recipe with the cooked rice. I served ours with Prosciutto, Spinach, and Egg Pies so it was a very nice oven meal and while it was baking, we had a glass of chardonnay. Made for ZWT4 the Flying Dutchess'.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a mother of 3 Children. 1 boy (21) and 2 girls (12 & 19). The picture is of my youngest DD and her dad right before they left for a daughter/father dance on 04/07/06. I work full time and like to find quick and simple recipes to make when I get home or leave for oldest DD to cook for dinner. My oldest DD loves to make the side dishes for dinner so I'm always looking for something she can make. I have a very large collection of cookbooks with Betty Crocker still being my favorite of all even if it is falling apart. lol <br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/chef3.jpg alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/purplechefhat.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /> <br /><a href=http://photobucket.com target=_blank><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/houdini6.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /></a><img src=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/bella_donata/My%20Art/Recipezaar/ScrapBook.png border=0 alt=Made by Bella14ragazza /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /><img title=Photo and Video Sharing src=http://www.pickle.com/plink/ph/795B07337A4704307B51032E7C590636795E1C512307476E143E5A652E076C347C5F02307A5F0032140741682C4659712C.jpg border=0 alt=coolmonday-particiation /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif alt= /><img src=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/bella_donata/My%20Art/Recipezaar/goldsparkle.png border=0 alt=Made by Bella14ragazza /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt= />http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/diner_photos/ZWT5banner.jpg</p>