photo by Lynn in MA
- Ready In:
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 tablespoon margarine, divided
- 2 teaspoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup cracker crumb
- Cook broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Drain and plunge into cold water, drain again and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon butter/margarine in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour and mustard; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in pepper.
- Combine broccoli and milk mixture, rice, cheese and mayo in a bowl, stir well. Spoon into shallow 2 quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
- Melt remaining teaspoon butter and combine with cracker/Melba toast crumbs.
- Sprinkle over mixture.
- Bake 350°F for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very tasty! I also liked that this version had ingredients I could pronounce. Used a shortcut which worked quite nicely: In the covered casserole dish, added the chopped broccoli and microwaved for 3 mintues on high, no water necessary. Perfectly crisp tender and green, and, since I just added the other ingredients to the cooked broccoli before baking, no extra dish to wash :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Just made this devine rice and broccoli dish that made everybody keep coming back for more. Being in the full heat of the summer most people are cooking "cool" dishes, but we felt the need to comforted, and use up our garden broccoli. Very easy recipe, had everything on hand so that made it even more comforting. The cheese, the broccoli the breads crumbs...all tasted wonderful. We love pepper, so I added some red pepper flakes to the topping with the crackers. Yummmm....tasty! Thank you so much, Galley Wench.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside . . . Chardonnay in one hand . . .chocolate in the other; the body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"