Bratwurst With Apples, Onion, and Sauerkraut
photo by lazyme
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon Wondra Flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, squeezed dry (preferably fresh)
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 pound)
- 3 large golden delicious apples (peeled, cored, thinly sliced)
- 6 whole smoked bratwursts, pierced all over with skewer (about 1 pound)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, melted
- pumpernickel bread or whole grain bread
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 400°F.
- Place caraway seeds and fennel seeds in small resealable plastic bag. Crush seeds with mallet. Add flour and pepper to bag; shake to blend.
- Spread sauerkraut over bottom of 13x9x2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle 1/3 of flour mixture over. Arrange onion slices over; sprinkle with half of remaining flour mixture, then lightly with salt. Spread half of apple slices over, then sprinkle with remaining flour mixture. Place bratwurst over apples, then arrange remaining apple slices around bratwurst. Tuck in bay leaves.
- Mix broth, vermouth, and ketchup in measuring cup. Pour broth mixture evenly over. Cover tightly with foil.
- Roast bratwurst 45 minutes. Uncover; brush with melted butter. Roast uncovered until edges of apples and sausages begin to brown, about 25 minutes longer. Serve with bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is by far one of the most flavorful sauerkraut dishes I have come across. I have made sauerkraut forever, DH is German. He gave this 10 stars. :) I was surprised that it wasn't on the tart side. Most recipes call for some sugar. We loved, loved, loved this. Would work great with smoked pork chops. Thanks MarraMamba for posting.
Here's a unanimous thumbs up from my family for a kraut recipe that isn't trying to cover up the taste of the kraut but rather is enhancing the goodness of the kraut. The apples and onions "knock down" the sharpness of the kraut without overwhelming it in sweetness the way so many recipes do. I realized after I pulled the brats from the freezer that the last package was regular instead of smoked, but since I was cooking it in the gas grill I got the smoky flavor anyway. Two things though. I'm not a ketchup fan and I don't know that the ketchup added anything we couldn't have done without and I think it would have been even better if the brats had been browned a little then buried in the kraut to suck up some sauerkraut flavor as it cooked. This wanted pumpernickel bread BADLY but the store was out this morning. :(
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/527607/cookswithcattitude.jpg I am a middle aged foodie who has had the luxury of living all over the world except asia. Lived in or grew up in Nigeria, Kenya, Chicago, Russia,and haiti. born in New Zealand, brother born in Austria and many more. I have chronic medication resistant depression after 10 years on anti depressants that worked well but would stop working after a year or two, so now do my best at home living on disabilty. Not a bad thing, many have far worse health issues but i have been able to concentrate on food/cooking. My main passions are my cats. I live in the woods and somehow many starving strays or "dumps" have found the message babies who passed on left in the woods saying "suck lives at xxxx road. Most arrive sick and/or starving. Right now i have 2 that arrived with feline herpes and their attendant 2ndry bacterial infections but are doing beautifully. One old man who was going to be euthanized bc a lady who found him as a stray was moving and didnt want him...well he was a biter and rather grumpy who was in ICU for 3 days with a deadly gut infection which was fixed but he left with a diagnosis of diabetes. 3 months on insulin and finally diet controlled and he caught the herpes virus, respiratory symptom version and turned into a cuddler. Butterscotch must think "why didnt i figure out this cuddle stuff was great before i got sick!" Doing wonderfully even though he has bouts. he and the other kids are my babies. Sadly Butterscotch died of Lymphatic cancer in winter of 2008. A year before Big Boy arrived in my life, starving and weak. Full of affection he jumped into my arms and stayed, turns out he has FIV (cat hiv) so he needs to be watched closely. I love him dearly <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Stockingswapcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/cookbookswap.jpg"> <img src="http://www.caymandesigns.com/foodothers/fallswap.jpg">