Bordertown Burgers With Spicy Onions
photo by LizzieBug
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce (I use Tabasco brand)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until golden brown (5-7 minutes), stirring often.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and 1 Tbsp of the chipotle sauce, stirring well to evenly coat the onions. Then remove the onions from the heat and keep warm.
- Combine the ground beef, cilantro, salt, and 3 Tbsp of the chipotle sauce (Use 2 Tbsp for milder burgers) and shape into 4 burgers.
- Grill over medium-high heat. (Approx. 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. 5 minutes per side for medium-well.).
- Top each burger with a slice of pepper-jack cheese and grill until the cheese melts.
- Place the burgers on toasted buns, and top with the spicy onions.
- Add any burger toppings you’re fond of. I like a little bit of horseradish mayo on my burgers.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I’m a 20-something writer living with my wonderful husband of four years and our headstrong basenji pup in the Southeastern part of the US. We're expecting our first baby in Feb '09. DH and I love to travel. We barely get back from one trip before we’re planning the next one! Earlier this year we visited Australia and New Zealand and seriously thought about never coming home! We’re not sure where we’re headed next. Argentina is high on the list, But then again, so are Greece, South Africa, and Russia. So many places to experience, so little time—and money! I read and craft in my down-time. You’ll never find me without a book tucked away in my bag or one of my pockets and I’ve always got some kind of craft project going on. DH is a tennis player so we spend a lot of time out on the courts. Well, he’s out on the courts; I’m on the sidelines guarding the beer!