Blueberry Applesauce (Vegitarian Friendly)
photo by flower7
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 lb apple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- heaping 1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen blueberries which don't have to be thawed)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice or 1/4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons honey, to taste (I used local blackberry honey)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, to taste
- Place the apples, blueberries, cinnamon stick, lemon zest, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses and apple juice (or water) into a deep, heavy sauce pan.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook until apples are very tender and the blueberries have dissolved and become saucy.
- Set aside to cool.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Puree the sauce to desired consistency either in a food processor or blender. Or-very carefully puree using an immersion blender. Be careful not to burn yourself because it hurts when the applesauce splatters!
- Transfer to a storage container. Stir in the almond extract.
- Taste the applesauce and if you think it needs sugar, go ahead and add some to desired sweetness.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yum yum yum! I used two organic Gala apples (about 1 lb before peeling & coring). Instead of grated zest I used 3 long wide strips of zest. I used water & for sweetener used about 2 Tbsp (local, always) honey - no brown sugar. It took about 25 minutes for the apples to get soft enough. I like chunky applesauce so just mashed slightly with a potato masher. Delicious and beautiful applesauce! Thanks for sharing! :)