Craze-E Potato Salad Boats - Kid Friendly
photo by Diana 2
- Ready In:
- 2 new potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 French style green beans, fresh
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 6 jumbo pasta shells, cooked al-dente
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- 1⁄8 cup sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 carrot, cut into long thin sticks
- 3 leaves lettuce, wavy
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2" cubes. Add to boiling salted water and cook for 5 minutes. Potatoes should be cooked but still firm. Drain, rinse in cold water and allow to cool.
- Steam or boil beans for 3 minutes, or until just cooked but still firm. Rinse in cold water and drain.
- Mix together yogurt, chives plus the salt and pepper if using. Pour onto the potatoes and toss gently. You can also add the boiled egg scraps if you wish. Chill for 30 minute.
- Gently fill the pasta shells with the potato mixture, mounding slightly. Tap on the counter to flatten the bottom so that the 'boats' will sit firmly on a plate.
Now to decorate:
- Cut each egg slice in half to form a half moon. Place one piece at the back of the boat, on top of the potato mixture.
- Slice beans lengthwise into two or three strips then cut into 1-1/2" pieces. Use the tip of a sharp knife to bore three holes along each side . Insert the bean strip. These will form the oars. (think Viking Ship).
- Cut the red pepper into small squares and place them on their edges, along both sides of the shell.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the potato mixture.
- Use a long carrot stick as the mast. Weave it through the edge of the lettuce leaf, which will become the sail. Insert into the bed of potato salad.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a fun recipe and very cute for the kids. The colors and flavors worked very well together. The only thing I didn't like was the hard boiled eggs. I can only tolerate hard boiled if they are mixed with mayo in an egg salad, otherwise I just can't eat them. But that is just personal taste. This is a keeper.