Black Plum & Ginger Jam (Without Pectin)
photo by Cooking Creation
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs black plums, pitted and chopped (about 6 plums)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- Place the chopped plums, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, ginger and salt in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve over a bowl, pressing down on the solids to extract as much juice as possible. Reserve the solids.
- Return the strained juices to the sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Boil until a candy thermometer reads 220 degrees (the gel stage). Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the reserved solids.
- Transfer the jam to sterile jars, or freeze whatever jam you don't intend to use right away.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!