Black Bean Poblano & Fried Egg Tostados
photo by dstripling
- Ready In:
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (fresh from 1 lime)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons coconut oil, at room temperature (solid)
- 1 poblano chile, stems and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 8 corn tortillas, 6-inch
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup pico de gallo
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, loosely packed
- 1⁄4 cup queso fresco, crumbled (fresh Mexican cheese)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- lime wedge, for serving
- Drain the black beans, reserving 1/4 c of the liquid from the can. Combine the beans and reserved liquid in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high. Cook, stirring often, until the beans are heated through, about 2 minutes. Mash the beans coarsely with a potato masher. Stir in the lime juice and 1/4 tsp of the salt. Remove from the heat, cover to keep warm.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the poblano and red onion; cook until tender and lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with the cumin and remaining 1/4 teaspoon sale; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Wipe the skillet clean.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in the skillet over medium-high. Fry tortillas, 2 at a time, until crisp & golden brown, about 2 minutes per side, and add 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil after the second batch. Transfer the crisp tortillas to a wire rack.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and melt the remaining 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil in the skillet; break the eggs into the skillet, and cook until the eggs detach from the bottom of the skillet, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny, about 2 minutes. Carefully transfer the eggs to a cutting board, and separate them gently with a knife.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of the bean mixture on each tostada. Top with 1 tablespoon of the poblano mixture and 1 egg. Serve with the pico de gallo, cilantro, quest fresco, avocado slices and lime wedges.
- Per Serving: CALORIES 566; FAT 33g (sat 15.6g, mono 10g, poly 3.8g); PROTEIN 23g; CARB 48g; Fiber 12g; SUGARS 5g; CHOL 377mg; IRON 4mg; SODIUM 982mg; CALC 193mg per "The Ultimate Guide to Clean Eating".
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!