Black and Blue Veggie Burgers
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans refried black beans (or use up your leftover black beans!)
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons achiote powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons blue cornmeal or 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, finely minced
- 1 -2 radish, minced
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, diced very small
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for frying
- lime wedge
- red onion, slices
- tomatoes, slices
- oil, for frying
- Prepare cilantro cream by combing ingredients and set aside.
- Place the refried black beans in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small saute pan, heat up a little bit of oil and saute the onion, cumin seeds and achiote together for about 2 minutes or until the onion just starts to soften. Add the garlic and saute another 30 seconds.
- Whirl the cornmeal in a mini-blender or coffee mill to a fine powder.
- In the large bowl with the beans, add all the ingredients, including the onion mixture and mix well. Let set for about 20 minutes to allow the cornmeal to soften and absorb. (Bean mixture can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated.).
- Oil your hands and form the mixture into six patties or twelve mini-patties.
- Stove top directions: Heat some olive oil in large saute pan on medium-high heat. Fry the patties for about 5 minutes, flip over and fry another 5 minutes.
- Oven directions: Form the patties and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until sizzling and lightly crisp on top.
- Serve warm on whole grain burger buns with your favorite burger toppings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!