Bistec a La Criolla ( Colombian Style Skirt Steak in Sauce)
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skirt steaks, trimmed and cut into 4 equal portions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for cooking)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup green onion, chopped (about 5 stalks)
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped (about 3 plum tomatoes)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place steaks between wax paper and pound with a mallet to 1/4 inch thickness; set aside.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine oil, mustard, cumin, garlic, cilantro, and salt and pepper; add steaks, seal (squeezing out as much air as possible), and work marinade over all sides of the meat.
- Refrigerate to marinate at least one hour, up to overnight.
- Meanwhile, prepare the hogao; heat oil in a skillet over medium low heat, add tomatoes, green onions, garlic, ground cumin and cook until tomatoes soften, about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add in salt and pepper to taste and cilantro, cook until tomatoes break down, about 10 minutes more; remove from heat.
- Heat a large skillet, over medium heat; add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Place steaks into skillet and cook 3 minutes per side.
- Add 1 1/2 cups hogao, cover and cook for 7 minutes more; serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span> </span></p> <p>We may live without poetry, music and art;</p> <p> </p> <p>We may live without conscience and live without heart;</p> <p>We may live without friends; we may live without books,</p> <p>But civilized man cannot live without cooks.</p> <p> </p> <p>He may live without books -- what is knowledge but grieving?</p> <p>He may live without hope-- what is hope but deceiving?</p> <p>He may live without love -- what is passion but pining?</p> <p>But where is the man that can live without dining?</p> <p>-- Owen Meredith</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>I'm an all-American original, having lived in Hawaii, New York, Texas, South Carolina, and Miami. I also served 7 years in the US Army. My husband is from Bogota, Colombia and has also lived in the former Soviet Union. But now we are both in NY.</p> <p> </p> <p>Tomasi enjoyes a bath!</p> <p><br /><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view&current=tomas.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/tomas.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /> <br />Some of my recipes:</p> <p> <object width=480 height=360 data=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw type=application/x-shockwave-flash> <param name=data value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=src value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=wmode value=transparent /> </object> <a href=http://photobucket.com/slideshows target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn.gif alt=/ /></a><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view?t=12cdcf0a.pbw target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn_viewallimages.gif alt=/ /></a> <br /> <br /> <br />I also have the genealogy bug! I've been tracing my roots for at least 10 years. One branch came to America just after the Mayflower in the early 1600s. Others came in the early 1700s, late 1890s. So, my American roots run pretty deep and I am deeply patriotic. Just wish someone had thought to same me some land!</p>