Bison Burgers With Cabernet Onions and Wisconsin Cheddar
photo by limeandspoontt
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups sliced onions (about 2)
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1 lb ground buffalo meat (bison)
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 hamburger buns
- 6 ounces sliced wisconsin white cheddar cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (to taste)
- 1 small head escarole, leaves separated
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, sprinkle with salt, and sauté until tender and golden brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to sauté until very tender and well browned, about 15 minutes longer. Add wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cool, cover, and chill.).
- Preheat broiler. Gently mix meat and next 3 ingredients in large bowl. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle burgers with salt and pepper; add to skillet. Cook until well browned, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Open buns and arrange, cut side up, on rimmed baking sheet. Place cheese slices on bun tops. Broil until cheese melts and bottom halves are lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Spread bottom halves with mustard. Top each with a few escarole leaves, then burger. Spoon onions on top pf burgers, dividing equally. Cover with bun tops; press lightly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
DH and I made these burgers last night for dinner and loved them! Like the other reviewers, we really enjoyed the cabernet onions. The only modification that we made was to grill the burgers. This worked really well, and especially, in summer is a great way to avoid heating up the house. The escarole, dijon, and cabernet onions were very complimentary. I will definitely make these burgers again!
My husband really loved this but the flavors were too advanced for our kids (who are teens). The burger flavor was okay. The onions were definitely my favorite part of this recipe. I didn't really like the addition of thyme and felt like it overpowered the flavor of the meat. If I decide to make it again I would probably reduce the amount of thyme - or maybe try using a little fresh herb instead.
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love cooking for family and friends. I especially enjoy baking...it is like combining art and science to create something extraordinary. I am most known for making desserts like Recipe #336060. My pet peeve: when people sign-up to bring dessert to a pot-luck or dinner party and they bring something pre-made from the store. My friends and family now know to always let me bring the dessert. :) I enjoy traveling and believe that one of the best ways to experience a culture is through food. I have lived in Germany, Spain and Switzerland, and currently live in the US. My rating system: 5 stars - Excellent! Delicious! Could not be better...will make often. 4 stars - Very good! May tweak slightly. 3 stars - Good base recipe. Will need to tweak. 2 stars - Ok. Will keep looking. Cooking Contests & Games: <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/snow-queens-sm.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/ST_AMBADGE.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">