Birnen - Nuss Strudel - Austrian Pear and Walnut Strudel
photo by gemini08
- Ready In:
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 3 ripe pears, peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup fine sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts)
- 1 egg, for eggwash
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Cut pears into thin slices, toss with the lemon juice.
- Melt the butter in a skillet, gently saute the bread crumbs until golden, set aside.
- In the same pan, toast the nuts until fragrant, add to the bread crumbs. Add pears and sugar, toss to combine.
- Roll out the puff pastry, spoon the nut mixture on it, keeping a one inch margin. Lightly warm the jam and spoon over the crumb/nut/pear mixture.
- Brush the margins with egg wash, fold the short ends over the filling, then roll up, starting at the long side.
- Carefully lift onto a lined baking sheet, seam side down, brush with egg wash, and with the use of a fork, make several vent holes in the dough.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400F/200C for @ 20 - 25 minutes until golden.
- Dust with confectioners sugar and serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am originally from Austria, live in Florida since 1977. I love cooking and like to relax by reading cookbooks. <br />I am also a member of a cooking site in Austria and have posted many American and International dishes there. <br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/buddies.jpg alt= /></p>