Big Batch Vegetable Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped (whites only) or 2 cups leeks, thinly sliced (whites only)
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- coarse salt and pepper
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium vegetable broth or (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 cups mixed assorted fresh vegetables (such as carrots, corn, green beans, lima beans, peas, potatoes, and zucchini, cut larger veggies int) or 8 cups frozen vegetables (such as carrots, corn, green beans, lima beans, peas, potatoes, and zucchini, cut larger veggies int)
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions or leeks, celery and Italian Seasoning; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, 5-8 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, and 3 cups water to pot; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Add vegetables to pot, and return to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Let cool before storing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a great recipe for using up the odds and ends of vegetables that are left in the veggie bin or partial bags of frozen vegetables. My combo consisted of fresh onions, celery, potatoes, carrots, and tomatoes, frozen peas, corn, and Italian green beans and canned kidney beans. My family loved it! I doubled the recipe and put some in the freezer in individual servings for work. This is certainly a great tasting recipe and healthful. I'll make this again. Thanks for posting mariajane :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a 56 year old Gramma that, for the first time in my life, has purchase myself a computer, and I didn't know what i was missing!! <br> <br>I have a husband tha I adore, and 4 grandchildren that of course surpass all others - lol - I am disabled, and am an at home person, so I have a lot of time on my hands, to play with my recipes, and I am enjoying every bit of it - <br>My husband will eat anything that I cook, so I have carte blanche as far as that goes, so I have a great time trying out new recipes. <br> <br>Paula Deen has published some of my favorite cookbooks, her recipes are easy and quick to do. Her sweets are fantastics, especially her pound cakes, Yummm <br> <br>I guess the dish that I am famous for is my Christmas ham - my family all comes home for Christmas, and if i don't have my ham they are dissapointed, and my grandson wants the pistachio squares!!! so I guess that is the dishes that I'm famous for.