Big Batch Bran Muffins
photo by YummySmellsca
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 30mins
- 5 cups wheat bran
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seed
- 5 cups buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon maple extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup Truvia, brown sugar baking blend (or 1 cup light brown sugar)
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped dried fruit (I used cherries and apricots)
- 1 cup granola cereal (optional, I used Flax Plus® Pumpkin Flax Granola)
- raw sugar, for topping (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine bran, flaxseed, buttermilk, sour cream, oil, syrup, extracts and spices. Cover and let sit overnight in the fridge.
- Stir in the sugars and salt until well blended.
- Gently mix in the flours and baking soda, then fold in the dried fruit and granola (if using).
- Use immediately or portion into lined muffin cups (fill ¾ of the way full), top as desired and freeze up to 6 months. (You can also store the batter, covered, in the fridge up to 1 month).
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 30 minutes (fresh) or 35-40 minutes (frozen).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Montessori teacher, nutritionist and pastry chef: baking is my passion, but teaching the value of good food to whole families is close to my heart too! I have a passion for re-instilling the love of good-quality, home-made and mostly healthy food into the hearts and kitchens of children and their families today. I believe that any ?homemade? food, even when labelled as naughty, is a more wholesome treat than pre-packaged, cookie-cutter junk.</p> 9408826"