Best-Ever Roast Chicken and Root Vegetables
This is a go-to Sunday dinner -- totally comforting and delicious.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 33mins
- 1 roasting chicken (2-3 lbs)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced thick
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 3 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- Put the carrots, parsnips and onions in the bottom of a big roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper, and add to that the 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- Then, remove the contents from the cavity of the chicken.
- Slice the top off of the whole head of garlic, and put that, the halved lemon, and the whole bunch of thyme inside the cavity. Truss the legs of the chicken.
- Season the outside of the chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables in the roasting pan, fold the wings underneath the bird.
- Put the pan into a 400-degree oven for an hour and fifteen minutes -- at that point, check to see if the chicken's done (slice the wing, the juices should run clear). Add more time if needed.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes, carve and serve with the roasted vegetables.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Another great recipe from Dria!!! We really loved this chicken, especially the vegetables!!! Such great flavor in the juices from all the chicken dressings!! I used kosher salt and it really flavored everything so well. I love the flavor that the roasted yellow onions have paired with the yummy carrots and parsnips. The chicken was moist and juicy. I did turn the chicken over on its other side for about 15 minutes and added a little bit more broth midway through cooking, it came out perfectly!!! Thanks for the recipe!!Reply