Best Ever Fresh Sweetcorn Salad
photo by Lavender Lynn
- Ready In:
- 5 ears corn, shucked
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, small-diced
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, small-diced (roast your own or use store-bought for convenience)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, kosher
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chiffonade (thinly sliced)
- Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil.
- Break each ear of corn in half so it will fit in the pot, and cook until tender and the starchiness is just gone. Drain and immediately immerse the ears of corn in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and to set the color. When the corn is cool, cut the kernels off the cob, cutting close to the cob.
- Toss the kernels in a large bowl with the red onions, roasted red peppers, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Just before serving, toss in the fresh basil. If you add the basil too early and let the salad sit for a long period of time before serving, it will wilt and darken.
- Taste for seasonings and serve cold or at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We love fresh corn salad and this is a great one! Don't care for onion so left it out, otherwise made as directed. The basil and cider vinegar made this different from others we've had and it was delicious. We were grilling chicken to serve with this, so roasted my own pepper on the grill and added it to the salad with the basil. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
Excellent side dish and so colourful. I was in a hurry so made about 1/3 of a batch using a tin of corn kernels. It came together so quickly. One daughter isn't very keen on capsicum (bell pepper), so I used finely chopped sun-dried tomato instead. Served with grilled organic beef sausages and Recipe #450832. Thanks for posting.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Based in Whangarei NZ. My favourite recipe book is by a two NZers, Alison and Simon Holst Meals without Meat. This book is my all time stand by for healthy inexpensive meals. I wouldn't be without it. I love cooking and look forward to preparing meals each evening.