Beef Stuffed Zucchini
photo by jessica_emerson
- Ready In:
4 zucchini shells
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup marinara sauce
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- salt and pepper (to taste and dietary needs)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 cup marinara sauce, for serving
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each so they sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4 inch shell.
- Place shells in an ungreased 13x9 microwave safe dish (or any size that will fit all four pieces - mine is round). Turn off turntable setting on microwave (I remove the turntable).
- Cover dish and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes or until crisp tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and broken up well; drain.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in egg, marinara sauce, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spoon about a 1/4 cup into each shell. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese then microwave for 3-4 minutes longer until thermometer inserted into filling read 160°F.
- Serve with warmed up marinara sauce for each serving for dipping.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe is amazingly delicious, and -very- easy to make! I didn't have any marinara sauce so I created my own using a can of tomato soup and some seaonings (pepper, garlic/onion powder, seasoning salt, flour to thicken). I also only had one zucchini, which made for plenty of leftover stuffing. The microwaving instructions for the squash itself works not only on zucchini, but on zephyr squash, yellow squash, etc - my next attempt will be on scallop squash. Times may need adjusting depending on the size of the squash used, of course.<br/><br/>Again, this was an absolutely amazing recipe. Thank you so much for posting!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm one of the original members of RecipeZaar and an active member in the old forums. I loved meeting so many wonderful people from across the globe in what were truly amazing forums and during events on the site which encouraged interaction. I miss those forums and am saddened that this is now just another recipe collection site. I will always come back here as I have so many recipes saved of my own and tried many gems. I hope you are able to find something you like.</p>