Beef Casserole and Dumplings
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 800 g lean casserole steak (I use topside)
- 1 large onion
- 3 carrots
- 1 medium parsnip
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups beef stock cube, prepared with water
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- milk, to mix
- Preheat oven to 180deg C.
- Cut steak into 2 1/2 cm cubes.
- Peel and slice onion, carrots and parsnip.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper and toss beef in this.
- Heat oil in frying pan, add beef and brown lightly.
- Add onion and any remaining flour, stir 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, parsnip, stock and vinegar.
- Stir until boiling, then transfer to a casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Increase oven heat to 200degC to ensure casserole is boiling.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Rub in butter, add parsley and mix in enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Divide into 8 pieces and form into balls.
- Drop into the bubbling casserole, cover and reduce heat to 180degC again.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes without lifting the lid.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!