photo by BLUE ROSE
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 1 lb boneless bottom round steak, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3⁄4 lb baby yukon gold potato, halved
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes.
- 2. Transfer the beef to a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Add the onions to the skillet; reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker. Add the potatoes, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, thyme, and bay leaves. Pour 1/3 cup of the beer into a small bowl and refrigerate. Pour the remaining beer over the beef and vegetables. Press the potatoes into the liquid to cover. Top with an even layer of the carrots. Cover and cook until the beef and vegetables are fork-tender, 4-5 hours on high or low 8-10 hours on low.
- 3. About 20 minutes before the cooking time is up, whisk the flour and reserved 1/3 cup of beer until smooth. Stir in about 1/4 hot liquid from the slow cooker until blended. Stir the flour mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until the mixture simmers and thickens, about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The weather has been so miserably cold lately, so this was the perfect meal for last night's dinner. Very easy and quick to assemble (with the added convenience of the good ol' crock pot)! My family was a little divided on this recipe with 4 stars being the overall consensus. Would be interested to try red wine (amount ??) in place of beer next time. Thanks!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p> </p> <p><img title=ZWT7 Particpant Banner src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/ZWT7%20Banners/9d968c99.gif alt=BAnner width=250 height=271 /></p> <p> </p> <p><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/redbannercopy.jpg border=0 alt=New Kids Participation Banner /> <br /> <br />Banner code: <br /><img src=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif alt= /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedPAC2011.jpg alt= width=211 height=175 /><br style=outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/blacktoesPAC2011.png alt= width=168 height=200 /></p> <p><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/baby-smile.jpg alt= width=240 height=175 /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/2011endingsticker.jpg alt= width=227 height=175 /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACSpring2012.jpg alt= width=227 height=228 /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/AdoptedSpring2012.jpg alt= width=227 height=244 /></p>